Monday, February 16, 2026
27.2 C
City of Banjul
HomeSenegal NewsSENEGAL: OPPOSITION LEADER OUSMANE SONKO RESUMES HUNGER STRIKE

SENEGAL: OPPOSITION LEADER OUSMANE SONKO RESUMES HUNGER STRIKE

Donate to Freedom Radio Today

Imprisoned Senegalese opposition figure Ousmane Sonko says he has resumed a hunger strike he called off last month ahead of elections next year.

Sonko, 49, has accused President Macky Sall of attempting to prevent him from running in the 2024 presidential elections, charges Sall, who was elected in 2012 and will not run in the elections, denies.

He was jailed in July on charges including fomenting insurrection, criminal association in connection with a terrorist enterprise and undermining state security over incidents dating back to 2021.

Sonko had been engaged in a fierce tussle with the state for more than two years and says authorities are trying to torpedo his political career.

He said he resumed the hunger strike on Tuesday to show “solidarity” with other activists “unjustly arrested for expressing their political opinions”, and who are sometimes deprived of “all contact with their loved ones”.

“We can only resort to the means of resistance that our current situation allows. That’s why I’ve decided to resume my hunger strike,” he said on Facebook and X, formerly Twitter.

One of his lawyers also confirmed that Sonko had resumed his hunger strike.

Latest articles

ABDOULIE SANYANG IS RELEASED FROM MILE 2 PRISON.

High Court Acquits Abdoulie Sanyang of 2016 APRC Bureau Arson Charges By Kexx News Kexx...

THE US EMBASSY BANJUL WROTE …

Today, with MoPE, we closed out the MCC Threshold Program in The Gambia. Through...

FIRE ERRUPTED AT BANJUL HOSPITAL. MANY SICK PATIENTS BURNED ON THEM SKINS.

Today 15 January 2026 Reports reach us that , massive smoke rise outside the...

LAMIN JAWARA DIRECTOR OF GAMBIA SHIP REGISTRY AND REGISTRAR OF SHIPPING AND SEAFARERS WANTED FOR CORRUPTION !!!

Lamin Jawara is currently the Director of Ship Registry and Registrar of Shipping &...

More like this

ABDOULIE SANYANG IS RELEASED FROM MILE 2 PRISON.

High Court Acquits Abdoulie Sanyang of 2016 APRC Bureau Arson Charges By Kexx News Kexx...

THE US EMBASSY BANJUL WROTE …

Today, with MoPE, we closed out the MCC Threshold Program in The Gambia. Through...

FIRE ERRUPTED AT BANJUL HOSPITAL. MANY SICK PATIENTS BURNED ON THEM SKINS.

Today 15 January 2026 Reports reach us that , massive smoke rise outside the...