Monday, February 16, 2026
27.2 C
City of Banjul
HomeSenegal NewsSENEGAL: AUTHORITIES ARE REFUSING TO RESTORE SONKO BACK TO THE ELECTORAL ROLL,...

SENEGAL: AUTHORITIES ARE REFUSING TO RESTORE SONKO BACK TO THE ELECTORAL ROLL, SAYS LAWYER

Donate to Freedom Radio Today

Senegalese authorities refused to add opposition leader Ousmane Sonko onto the nation’s electoral roll after a court ruled he should be reinstated, Sonko’s lawyers said Tuesday. 

A representative for the opposition leader was also denied access to the General Directorate of Elections to collect the sponsorship forms necessary for Sonko’s candidacy, according to an emailed statement. 

A Senegalese court last week ruled that Sonko be added back to the nation’s electoral roll, enabling him to run for president in elections scheduled for February.

An Interior Ministry spokesman, which oversees the elections, didn’t respond to calls and a text seeking comment.  

The election body didn’t respond to calls and an email after business hours. 

Sonko, 49, has been entangled in a months-long legal battle since the authorities removed him from the electoral list following his conviction in absentia for morally corrupting a youth. 

Contenders for the Feb. 25 election have until Dec. 26 to submit their applications to the Constitutional Council, which is responsible for verifying and validating candidacies.

Latest articles

ABDOULIE SANYANG IS RELEASED FROM MILE 2 PRISON.

High Court Acquits Abdoulie Sanyang of 2016 APRC Bureau Arson Charges By Kexx News Kexx...

THE US EMBASSY BANJUL WROTE …

Today, with MoPE, we closed out the MCC Threshold Program in The Gambia. Through...

FIRE ERRUPTED AT BANJUL HOSPITAL. MANY SICK PATIENTS BURNED ON THEM SKINS.

Today 15 January 2026 Reports reach us that , massive smoke rise outside the...

LAMIN JAWARA DIRECTOR OF GAMBIA SHIP REGISTRY AND REGISTRAR OF SHIPPING AND SEAFARERS WANTED FOR CORRUPTION !!!

Lamin Jawara is currently the Director of Ship Registry and Registrar of Shipping &...

More like this

ABDOULIE SANYANG IS RELEASED FROM MILE 2 PRISON.

High Court Acquits Abdoulie Sanyang of 2016 APRC Bureau Arson Charges By Kexx News Kexx...

THE US EMBASSY BANJUL WROTE …

Today, with MoPE, we closed out the MCC Threshold Program in The Gambia. Through...

FIRE ERRUPTED AT BANJUL HOSPITAL. MANY SICK PATIENTS BURNED ON THEM SKINS.

Today 15 January 2026 Reports reach us that , massive smoke rise outside the...